Abraham Lincoln (Abe Lincoln) was the sixteenth President of the US.
Lincoln was born a farmer’s son in Kentucky, US. When he was just nine, his mother died. Lincoln was mostly self-educated. He married Mary Todd and had five sons, of which only one survived into adulthood. Now the Lincoln lineage is extinct.
Lincoln entered politics early, at the age of 23, but it was in 1860 that he got elected as the 16th President of the US. The very next year, the American Civil War erupted with 11 slave states declaring that they wanted to separate from the US. These states were against the abolition of slavery, and Lincoln’s election campaign clearly defined his stance as anti-slavery. Lincoln is known for leading the US through the Civil War and ending slavery.
Five years after becoming the president of the US, Abraham Lincoln was assassinated in 1865.
Some Popular Lincoln Quotes:
- Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?
- Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
- I can make more generals, but horses cost money.
- In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.
- The ballot is stronger than the bullet.
- If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?
- You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.
Find more Lincoln Quotes at the following links.