As a woman I not expected to talk about Batman, but as a caricaturist I couldn’t care less about what I am expected to do, so here are my two cents about the recent controversy about Ben Affleck playing Batman.
Why Batman’s Costume freaks me out?
It’s black and gold. In my opinion, this combination can look good only on a fair-complexioned woman. I understand the logic – bats are black – Granted. But then why is the utility belt all golden? Do bats wear golden belts?
- It’s got those two cat-ears jutting up – why? What purpose do they serve, except making Batman look like more like a Catman than a Batman? Check out the ears of a bat here, and those of a cat here. I mean, just because they didn’t want Batman look like a gremlin, they twisted the ears sideways.
- The gaping hole in the cap (or head-shroud or whatever else it’s called.) Remember the only hole in the costume where Batman’s mouth fits in. Now if Spiderman can talk through the spandex costume that he wears, why did Batman need this wide hole that exposes his cheeks, chin, nose, and jaw? I think it was designed to make it easier for him to kiss women, when he wasn’t fighting the Joker. (Actually, that makes me wonder whether his costume has a zipper camouflaged with a black fly? What if he has to take a leak at a time when he’s trying save his city from the Joker’s wrath?)
Actors who’ve played Batman in the past – through my Distorted Lenses.
- Remember Michael Keaton? If he could be Batman with the Koala face that he borrowed from Sheldon and never returned, what’s wrong with Affleck?
- Remember Val Kilmer as Batman? He could’ve been the coolest Batman – and everyone was cool about his becoming Batman, but it didn’t work out at all, did it?
- Then you had George Clooney filling in the shoes? George Clooney?!! Really? Ten years from now or even five, Ben Affleck would have mutated completely into George Clooney – so if GC has been the Batman – what’s wrong with Ben Affleck?
- Oh, and then came Christian Bale. There are horror tales of people tearing up the seats in the halls so that they may use the sponge to stopper their ears. They hated his voice. Now look. Who’s swooning, drooling, and dribbling all over Mr. Bale?
- Robert Lowrey (I’ve no idea…honestly.)
- Adam West (the Batman who batted the longest.)
- Lewis G Wilson (the first Batman who was short and stocky.)
So what’s wrong with Ben Affleck?
- True, he looks more like a banker than a storehouse of steroids, but then Michael Keaton has that used-car-salesman look about him – yet he did okay.
- True, he doesn’t look athletic, but then Clooney didn’t either. And honestly, there’s nothing that can’t be handled through CG effects. In fact, I’ve not been spotted yet, or I could be Batman.
- True, his voice has the Boston Accent (I wish I knew what that sounded like – but I am tone-deaf.) But then Bale’s voice had an alien bass, and now we’re drooling all over him – wondering why he threw the offer of $50M (Gosh!)
I watched the Adam West TV series before the movies came out. I think I’ve seen them all, but I’ve never liked any of the DC heroes (Superman? Blah. Batman? Boh. wonder Woman? Meh. And so on, and so forth. Marvel gal here! ;)), so I don’t care who plays Batman. Actually, if it’s Ben Affleck I have a very good excuse NOT to watch the next Batman movie! 😉 I watched the Christian Bale movies because I already knew Christian Bale (Equilibrium, Velvet Goldmine) and it allowed me to discover Cillian Murphy. And the first CD Batman was shot in Iceland when I went there for the first time. But I’m not a Batman fan, so… glad to get rid of these Batman movies with a simple change of casting! 😀 (Superman for me is Christopher Reeves and I never went past the movies with him)! 😉
Neither do I. I’ve watched some Batman movies but I somehow couldn’t connect with the concept. I prefer Spiderman movies. But all in all, the superhero concept doesn’t work for me. I guess the only superhero I ever liked is John Galt 🙂
Sent from my iPad