On this Independence Day, presenting Kareena Kapoor (Bebo) – The Darling of Bollywood – the completely Indian Celebrity from the oldest Bollywood family!
Kareena Kapoor’s Shortest Biography on the Web
Born in 1980, Kareena Kapoor (affectionately called Bebo) is one of the most popular Bollywood actresses today. Bebo was born in the most prominent Bollywood family of the Kapoors (Kapoor Khaandaan (Family)). She is the great-grand daughter of the legendary Prithviraj Kapoor, the grand-daughter of Raj Kapoor, the daughter of Randhir Kapoor, and the nice of Rishi Kapoor! Her mother was the actress Babita, who had to separate from the Patriarchal Kapoor family to raise her daughters (Kareena and Karishma) in a different environment, where they were free to choose what they wished to do in life.
(Note the absence of gender-equality even in Bollywood’s first family!)
Kareena Kapoor’s Film Career
Bebo made her debut in Refugee, and won the Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut, in 2000. The next year she worked a few forgettable films, until she featured opposite Shahrukh Khan in Ashoka, but she was credited more for her looks than for her acting. In 2002 and 2003, she again worked in films that none of us remembers anything about! But in 2004, her luck changed, when she played the role a prostitute in Chameli. This was her first serious role, which led to her recognition as an actress.
Kareena Kapoor’s Love-life
The two milestones in Bebo’s love-life were:
- Her relationship with Shahid Kapoor, and their subsequent breakup.
- Her relationship (which is still going strong) with Saif Ali Khan (the son of the legendary Sharmila Tagore and the Nawab of Pataudi – Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi,) which led to the term, “Saifeena” (Yes – you are right, it’s the Indian version of “Brangelina.”)
(If Saif and Kareena marry, Saif would be playing the second innings, but if Bebo doesn’t mind, why should we?)
Bebo’s Extra-Cinema Credentials
- India’s most beautiful woman (what happened to Aishwarya Rai?) – People Magazine
- First Indian Actress to Launch her own line of clothing.
- First Indian Actress to achieve a Size Zero (!) (That’s my take…Only circumstantial evidence!)
- First Indian Actress to donate FREE paint to poor stripe-less bees!
Wishing all Indians everywhere in the world (including dear Kareena), a very Happy Independence Day!